Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pulled Pork Enchiladas

I love mexican food!  It might be my favorite genre of food.  Although, I have lots of favorites when it comes to food.....so that would be a really hard call to make.  I do love enchiladas though.  And I think they're even better homemade.

As a child I was pretty much allergic to everything under the sun.  I was lucky that I wasn't allergic to the sun.  One of the things I haven't quite outgrown is corn.  So, I have to substitute some ingredients every once in a while when I can.  In this recipe, for instance, I use whole wheat tortillas instead of traditional corn tortillas.  They give off a great flavor and crisp up on the ends just like the corn ones do.  Fantastic.


Pulled Pork Enchiladas
Serves 4


Ingredients:
2 8oz cans tomato sauce
1 6oz can tomato paste
2 Tbsp minced onions
1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp sea salt
4 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup water
2 cups shredded cheese (I used Monterey Jack and cheddar)
1 lb pulled pork, cooked
8 10" whole wheat tortillas


In a medium saucepan combine the tomato sauce, paste, onions, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, olive oil and water.  Stir and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.


Reserve 1/2 cup of your sauce for topping the enchiladas with.  Add the cooked pulled pork to the rest of sauce and let simmer about 5 more minutes.  


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  


Prep a 9x13" glass dish with a spritz of olive oil on the bottom.  This will help to crisp up the wheat tortillas a bit.  Take one of your tortillas and fill the middle with 1/8 of the meat and approx. 3 tbsp cheese sprinkled onto the meat.   Roll up the tortilla and place in the glass pan seam side down against one end of the pan.  Repeat with the rest of the tortillas, setting each right next to the last.  All 8 tortillas should fit snuggly into the dish.  Top the entire dish with the 1/2 cup of sauce that was set aside.  Top with the rest of the shredded cheese and bake for 25 minutes.


Depending on your tomato sauce and how thick it is straight out of the can, you add less water or more water to your enchilada sauce until you acquire the thickness you desire.  Not too thick, not too thin.  Juuuuuust right.

These were delicious and fresh.  I served them with some refried beans topped with a tiny splash of shredded cheese.  I love the flavor of the homemade sauce.  The stuff from a can just never appeals to me.  It doesn't taste like enchilada sauce-maybe because growing up my dad always made his own.  This is so quick and easy, there is no excuse to use the pre-made stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment