Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Taco Seasoning

I've started to experiment with making my own taco seasoning since I'm not into paying $1+ for a packet of taco seasoning.  And I usually think there is too much salt in the pre-packaged ones as well.  At least they make low sodium packets now.  Anyway-I've found a mix of seasonings that I'm really liking now.  Here it is:



Taco Seasoning
(This is for 1lb of ground beef or chicken)

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp minced onions
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp crushed red pepper  (I like to grind them up in my mortar and pestle before I add them to the mix)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix all your ingredients together until well blended.  I like to mix them up in my mortar and pestle since it's already out to crush my red pepper flakes even more.  Store in an air-tight container or use immediately.  Use as much or as little as you like.   



Don't forget to drain your meat of all the grease, and also add 3/4 cup water when adding the taco seasoning.  Simmer until water is mostly absorbed and the meat is well seasoned.  

This is a great base for your tacos.  I also like to add a few dashes of our favorite hot sauce onto the meat when I add the spices for a little extra kick.  So yummy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment