Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Braised Short Ribs

I have heard for some time now about the Pioneer Woman....and how many people have tried her recipes.  And quite honestly-I felt left out.  I looked up a few recipes and printed them out not knowing which one to try and headed to the grocery store.  The first place I like to hit up once I'm there?  The 'Manager's Specials' section in the meat department.  What did I find there?  Beef Short Ribs!  Which is a good thing-because those suckers are expensive!  They had one package of 4 with the bone in, and one package of 5 without the bone.  I scooped them both up, grabbed the rest of my ingredients and was off to the casa to get to cooking.




Braised Short Ribs 
Pioneer Woman Style!
Serves 8



Ingredients
  • 8 whole Beef Short Ribs
  • Kosher Salt & Pepper To Taste
  • ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
  • 6 pieces Pancetta, Diced  (I used bacon-It's what I had on hand)
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
  • 3 whole Carrots, Diced
  • 2 whole Shallots, Peeled And Finely Minced
  • 2 cups Red Or White Wine
  • 1 can low sodium Beef Or Chicken Broth (enough To Almost Cover Ribs)
  • 2 sprigs Thyme
  • 2 sprigs Rosemary

Salt and pepper ribs, dredge in flour, set aside.
In a large dutch oven, cook pancetta(or bacon) over medium heat until complete crispy and all fat is rendered. Remove pancetta and set aside. Do not discard grease.
Add olive oil to pan with the pancetta grease, and raise heat to high. Brown ribs on all sides, about 45 seconds per side. Remove ribs and set aside. Turn heat to medium.
Add onions, carrots, and shallots to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in wine and scrape bottom of pan to release all the flavorful bits of glory. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes.
Add broth, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Taste and add more salt if needed. Add ribs to the liquid; they should be almost completely submerged. Add thyme and rosemary sprigs (whole) to the liquid.
Put on the lid and place into the oven. Cook at 350 for 2 hours, then reduce heat to 325 and cook for an additional 30 to 45 minutes. Ribs should be fork-tender and falling off the bone. Remove pan from oven and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes, lid on, before serving. At the last minute, skim fat off the top of the liquid. (Can also refrigerate mixture, then remove solid fat from the top.)
The Pioneer Woman suggests that you serve 2 ribs on bed of creamy polenta, spooning a little juice over the top.  We served it on top of rice and thought it was delicious!
The bone-in ribs are where it's at.  The boneless ones were just as tasty-but not quite as tender.  I would still make it again with boneless-but I would know it's only a 4 star meal....  :P  I used red wine to make the dish-it was a little too much for us, so I would put about 1/2 cup less in next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment