Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

London Broil

I have a hard time cooking and enjoying red meat dishes, since I'm just not a huge fan of it.  But I found some London Broil at a really good price at the store and thought, 'Hey, that sounds fancy-I bet Jeff would appreciate that!'  So I bought it.  Then I was off to the great wide internet to look for a recipe for London Broil that I could tackle.  When I stumbled upon this recipe I instantly thought 'JACKPOT!'

(Pardon me for not recognizing the source-I didn't print it out with the recipe. If it is yours, please let me know and I will correct that.)



London Broil
Serves 5


Ingredients for the steak:
1 top round London Broil steak (2-3 lbs)
1 beef bouillon cube
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper


Ingredients for the herb butter:
4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp fresh chervil or tarragon, chopped
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper


Prepare the steak by dissolving the bouillon cube in 3/4 cup hot water in a bowl.  Set aside to cool.  Whisk in 2 tbsp olive oil, the soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Place the steak in a large resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade in and seal-squeezing out all the air.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or up to 1 day.)


To prepare the herb butter mix the butter, chives, parsley, chervil, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 tsp of pepper in a bowl.


About 30 minutes before cooking remove your meat from the bag, discard the marinade, dry it well and bring to room temperature.  Heat a large heavy skillet (I used a cast iron skillet) over high heat for about 2 minutes.  Rub the steak with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil.  Sprinkle 1 tbsp salt over the surface of your pan; add the meat and set a heavy skillet (I used another cast iron grill pan with foil in between to keep the pan clean) on top of your meat.  Sear for about 7 minutes, turn the steak over and replace the heavy skillet or weight and cook until a thermometer inserted reads 110 degrees for a medium rare cut of meat.  It should take about 5 minutes.


Transfer the steak to a cutting board.  Brush with some of the herb butter, tent with foil (I used the same foil from before) and let rest for 10 minutes.  Thinly slice against the grain; top with more herb butter and drizzle with the pan juices.

I really liked this!  It was so juicy and flavorful and the herb butter was delicious.  I didn't use all of the herb butter though-it makes quite a bit and I think might've overpowered the meat if the entire portion was used.  I served it with some rice, but next time I will make sure to really put some thought into what sides to serve it with.  The only thing Jeff said could've made it better was a different side.  I agree-I slacked on the side dishes.  Next time, London Broil, next time...

2 comments:

  1. Reason 207 I'm not ready to be married. The idea of grocery shopping around my husband's desires elicits a "Seriously? People dooooo that? Interesting...." reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I totally do that....because let's be honest, I'm perfectly happy eating chicken and rice every night. Which we did eat for about 1 1/2 years after we moved in together.

    ReplyDelete