Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Italian Beef Sandwiches

My husband absolutely loves beef sandwiches-Chicago style.  So, I made my way through the many internet recipes for italian beef sandwiches and settled on this one.  And I am so glad that I did.  We loved these!



(Pardon me for not recognizing the source-I didn't print it out with the recipe.  If it is yours, please let me know and I will correct that.)

Italian Beef Sandwiches
Serves 6-8


1 4-5 lb rump roast
1 packet italian salad dressing mix
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1 bay leaf


In a small saucepan, combine the water along with all the seasonings and the dressing packet.  Stir well and bring to a boil.  Meanwhile-put your roast in the slow cooker and pour the mixture over the roast.  Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours.  (You could cook it on high for 4-5 hours.)  Remove bay leaf and shred meat.  


Serve on a hoagie topped with some sort of white cheese (provolone is a popular Chicago option, but we used munster and it was delicious!) and giardiniera.  You could also top with some jalapenos or italian sweet peppers.



These were some of the best homemade sandwiches I've ever had.  This recipe also makes a LOT of sammies so invite your friends people.  There's enough for everyone.  Pair it with some french fries and you've got yourself a delicious dinner that didn't take 10 minutes to prep.

2 comments: