Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

This is the most amazing pulled pork I've ever had.  It has just the right amount of juice, the right amount of heat, the perfect combination of spices and it's so easy!



Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Spice rub recipe from Cooks Illustrated 


Ingredients:
1 6-8lb Pork Shoulder
1 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 Tbsp Ground Cumin
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
4 Tbsp Paprika
2 Tbsp Sea Salt
1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
1 Tbsp Ground White Pepper


Mix all spice rub ingredients together in a bowl.  Massage the rub into the Pork Shoulder.  Wrap tightly in a double layer of saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.  Refrigerate longer for a stronger flavor.  (I refrigerated for 24 hours.)  


Unwrap roast and place in a slow cooker.  Add 3/4 cup water to the bottom of the cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours until meat is fork-tender and easily shredded.


Shred meat along with all the juices in the slow cooker and add more water if necessary.  Continue heating on warm setting until time to serve.




I made this roast for burritos and it was a huge hit.  It has just enough spiciness to give any burrito or taco a little kick!  If you were thinking more along the lines of BBQ pulled pork-all you need to do is add about 2-2 1/2 cups of your favorite bbq sauce to the slow cooker while it's on the warm setting.

I cooked my 6.5lb boneless roast for 9 hours and it shredded so easily.  I did add about 1/4 cup more warm water to the shredded meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment