Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Beef and Italian Sausage Lasagna

I got this lasagna recipe from my sister who made it for Christmas dinner one year and I absolutely loved it.   It is 'bitchin' as my husband would say.  I couldn't agree more.  This recipe might take a little while to make, but every second is worth it.  The sauce is more delicious the longer it simmers so don't cheat and take it off early.




Beef and Italian Sausage Lasagna
Serves 8


Ingredients
1 lb Italian Sausage
1 lb 93% lean ground beef
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic-minced
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatos
2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 oz) cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp white sugar
1 1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 Tbsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp parsley
12-16 lasagna noodles-cooked to al dente
24 oz ricotta cheese
1 egg
2 Tbsp parsley
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 lb mozzarella cheese-sliced
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese



Cook the sausage, beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until the meat is fully cooked.  (Tip-use a big sauce pan-this makes a LOT of sauce!)  Drain grease.
Add in crushed tomatos, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water.  Stir.  Season with sugar, basil, fennel, italian seasoning, 1 Tbsp salt, pepper, and 2 Tbsp parsley.  Let simmer 1 1/2 hours.


Combine ricotta cheese, egg, 2 Tbsp parsley, 1/2 tsp salt.


Preheat oven to 375.


Layer your lasagna with 1 1/2 cups meat on the bottom of the pan, noodles, 1/3 ricotta, 1/3 mozzarella, meat sauce, sprinkle parmesan and repeat.


Spray foil with cooking spray to prevent the cheese from sticking and cover.  Bake 25 minutes.  Remove foil and cook an additional 25 minutes.


Taste this sauce as it's simmering.  It is absolutely amazing.  You won't be disappointed.  Trust me.
Serve it up with a delicious salad and you have a meal you could serve to special guests or your favorite person.

1 comment:

  1. A combination of beef and Italian sausage in a pasta? The dish must be so flavorful! I bet you're an expert in making this dish. Does your husband always ask you to make one? Anyhow, you should ask your sister for more recipes, as she can share scrumptious dishes with you for sure.

    Dione Nye

    ReplyDelete