Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pinto Beans with Bacon and Scallions

This is a great version of pinto beans that I will be making again.



Pinto Beans with Bacon and Scallions
Source: Everyday Food by Martha Stewart, adapted by Amy's New Kitchen
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
1 tsp vegetable oil
8 slices bacon, cut into 1/4" pieces
3 bunches scallions, sliced crosswise, separate white and green parts
2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup water
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste


Heat 1 tsp oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add bacon pieces and cook, stirring often until bacon is golden brown.  Add scallion whites and continue to cook until softened.  Add 2 cans pinto beans and 1 cup water and season with salt and pepper. 


Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened.  Top with scallion greens and serve immediately.


Mmmmm.  Once I added some extra bacon and scallions to the original recipe it was delicious!  Made everyone happy and was a perfect side to our bbq ribs for Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment