Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Monday, June 14, 2010

BBQ Meatballs

I love meatballs.  They're bite size and fun!  And they're easy too, which I really like.  I found this recipe browsing the Pioneer Woman's website and thought it looked interesting so I decided to make it.


BBQ Meatballs
Source: The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:

For Meatballs:
  • 1½ lbs Ground Beef/Ground Pork mixture
  • ½ cup Oats
  • ½ cup Panko Bread Crumbs
  • ¾ cup Milk
  • 3 Tbsp Very Finely Minced Onion
  • 1½ tsp Salt
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, for dredging
  • canola oil, for frying
For Sauce:
  • 1 cup Ketchup
  • 2 Tbsp Sugar
  • 3 Tbsp Vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire
  • 4-6 Tbsp minced Onion
  • Tabasco (or your favorite hot sauce)
 Preheat oven to 350°


Combine all meatball ingredients. Roll into medium-sized balls and place on a cookie sheet. Place sheet in freezer for five minutes.


After 5 minutes, remove meatballs from freezer and immediately dredge in unseasoned flour.
Brown meatballs in canola oil in skillet on top of stove until just brown. Place into a baking dish.


Combine all sauce ingredients. Pour over meatballs and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Serve on their own, on a bed of rice or mashed potatoes, or on a bread roll!


I changed a few tiny things from the original recipe.  I used half ground beef and half ground pork.  When I was adding the milk-an entire cup seemed like too much so I stopped at 3/4 cup.  It was the perfect amount.  I also used less oats and added panko bread crumbs because I love them in meatballs.

The bbq sauce is really, really good.  I am a big fan!  I might even suggest to make a double batch of sauce so you have extra for adding sauce on to your bread roll or even just to dip into.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment