Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cheddar Stuffed Jalapenos

My brother, dad and husband are big fans of peppers.  Most of the time, the hotter the better.  So for Father's Day, I decided to make some stuffed jalapenos for my bro and my dad.  And I guess Jeffrey too since he is a doggy dad!

The only problem with most recipes is that they all involve cream cheese.  An ingredient that Jeff does not approve of.  So, I made up my own and they were a hit!  My 8 year old nephew even loved them-always a bonus!  And they're colorful-which is just they way I like it.



Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Jalapenos 
Servings: 6; 2 per serving

Ingredients:
6 slices bacon
6 jalapenos
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp pimentos
Garlic powder


Partially cook bacon slices, side by side, in oven for 8 minutes at 400º on a shallow, rimmed baking sheet.  Do not discard the bacon grease.  Cut each slice of bacon in half and let cool.  Turn oven heat up to 450º.


Split jalapenos in half, lengthwise (removing the stems or not depending on preference), and remove seeds and membranes.  Fill each half of jalapeno with a thick piece of cheese cut to fit jalapeno.  Add pimentos on top, sprinkle with garlic powder and wrap in ½ a piece of bacon, or lay bacon slice on top of jalapeno.  If wrapping in bacon, lay the seams of bacon underneath each jalapeno to keep in place on baking sheet; if necessary secure with a toothpick.  Place closely together on baking sheet (with bacon grease) and bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until bacon is nice and crisp.


For a spicier pepper leave the membranes in each jalapeno.


These were fun and easy.  But here's a word of warning.....your hands will remain spiced like a jalapeno for hours.  Don't touch your eyes or they will burn!  Trust me.  Next time I will be wearing latex gloves when cutting up the jalapenos.  You better believe it!

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! My hubby would go nuts for these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These really sound delicious. This is my first visit to your blog. I spent some time reading your earlier posts to bring myself up to date. I really like your recipes and will be back often. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete