Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Stove Top Mac n' Cheese

I was looking for a stove top recipe for mac n' cheese because I didn't want to use my oven in this hot, hot summertime heat.  It was suggested by Jen at Beantown Baker that I try Alton Brown's recipe.  She said it was awesome and she was right!  It's the creamiest and easiest macaroni recipe I've ever made and am so happy to have it in my recipe box now!



Alton Brown's Stove Top Mac n' Cheese
Source: Alton Brown, Food Network, slightly adapted by Amy's New Kitchen
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
1/2 lb macaroni (I used shells)
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 eggs
6 oz evaporated milk
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp sea salt
Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
3/4 tsp dry mustard
8 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
4 oz monterey jack cheese, shredded


In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.

Whisk together the eggs, evaporated milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta then add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.


I doubled this recipe from the start because I just knew I was going to want leftovers!  I would suggest to everyone, just go ahead and double it-you will wish you had if you didn't!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment