Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Salted Toffee Chocolate Squares

 Craving something salty?  Craving something sweet?  I've got the treat for you!


Salted Toffee Chocolate Squares
source: Everyday Food by Martha Stewart, adapted by Amy's New Kitchen
serves 12

Ingredients:
  • 13 graham crackers
  • 1 bag (8 oz) toffee bits
  • 1 1/2 cups almonds, toasted & coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 tsp coarse salt
Preheat oven to 350º. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Crush graham crackers and place in an even layer on the bottom of sheet. Sprinkle toffee bits and almonds over graham crackers.


In a small saucepan, bring sugar and butter to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat and cook at a rapid simmer, swirling pan occasionally, until mixture is syrupy, ~2 minutes. Immediately pour evenly over graham crackers. Bake until sugar topping is bubbling, ~12 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips and salt over graham crackers. 


With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut into 2-inch squares. Let cool completely on sheet on a wire rack. (Store in an airtight container, up to 1 week.)  



The original recipe calls for the graham crackers to be placed whole on the bottom of the cookie sheet.  The way I did it, they make a nice graham cracker crust and once cooled, the foil peels away easily to perfectly cut squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment