Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mini Mac n' Cheese Bites

When I heard there was a such a thing as bite size Mac N' Cheese appetizers I knew I had to make them.  I'm a sucker for a good macaroni and cheese recipe so I love new ways to make it.  This original recipe is from Food & Wine magazine.


Mini Mac n' Cheese Bites
Recipe from Food & Wine Magazine-December 2007 publication
Serves 8

Ingredients:
1/2 lb elbow macaroni
1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, extra for brushing
1/4 cup Parmigian-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
3 oz blue cheese
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
4 oz deli sliced American cheese, chopped
1 large egg yolk
1/4 tsp smoked paprika


Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain, shaking off the excess water.


Brush two 24-cup, nonstick mini muffin tins with butter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the Parmigiano; tap out the excess.


In a large saucepan, melt the 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook, whisking, until boiling, about 5 minutes. Add the cheddar, American and blue cheeses and whisk until melted. Off the heat, whisk in the egg yolk and paprika. Fold in the macaroni.


Spoon slightly rounded tablespoons of the macaroni into the prepared muffin cups, packing them gently. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano on top.


Bake the mini macs in the upper and middle thirds of the oven for about 10 minutes, until golden and sizzling. Let cool for 5-6 min­utes. Using a small spoon, carefully loosen the mini macs, transfer to a platter and serve.


We made this recipe as an appetizer to our Thanksgiving feast.  Everyone thought they were super tasty.  I think adding the blue cheese really made them a bit more exotic and special.  What a fun way to bring Mac and Cheese to any meal!

1 comment: