Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Apricot Ginger Glaze for Ham

I wanted to do something a little different for our Easter Ham this year rather than the usual brown sugar glaze....and I was pointed in the direction of this Mango Ginger Glaze and was intrigued. I couldn't find a few of the ingredients so I turned that recipe into an Apricot Ginger Glaze and it was still amazing. So tasty.


Apricot Ginger Glaze
Original recipe from Steamy Kitchen, slightly adapted by Amy's New Kitchen

1/2 cup apricot nectar or juice

1 1/2 cups apricot jam
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Combine the apricot nectar, jam, brown sugar, ginger and cloves in a small pot and cook over low heat until the glaze is thick and sticky.

I also cooked my ham just as the Steamy Kitchen recommended.  In a roasting pan actually, with about 2 cups of the apricot nectar in the bottom of the pan.  Covered in foil for 15min/lb on 275 degrees.  I took the ham out about 10 minutes before it should have been done (at 110 degrees internal temp) and then added a layer of the glaze all over the outside of the ham and continued cooking uncovered for an additional 10 minutes at 350 degrees.  It turned out moist and flavorful! 


The glaze was such a fun and colorful addition to the dinner plates and everyone loved it.  It is always a gamble when adding something different to what is normally a traditional meal, but I was glad I changed it up a little this year.  We will make this glaze year after year from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment