Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Grandpa's Goulash

I miss my Grandpa.  He passed away when I was little.  There are 2 things that I remember about my Grandpa though.  He made me sausage and eggs for lunch almost every single day I saw him, and he made the best goulash.  My mom recently brought over her recipe box of family recipes for me to go through and copy the ones I wanted.  Grandpa's Goulash was the first one I hunted down.  One other thing about my Grandpa though-all his recipes are to taste.  No measurements.  So, I will be experimenting until I get them all right.  And I will share the love of my Grandpa with all of you!


Goulash
Serves 8

Ingredients:
2 lb 93% lean Ground Beef
1 lb Shell Macaroni
Sea Salt
Pepper
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1/4 cup A-1 Steak Sauce
1/4 cup Heinz 57 Sauce
2-3 Tbsp of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 28oz can Petite Diced Tomatoes
1 6oz can Tomato Paste


Cook pasta as directed on package in salted water.  While the pasta is cooking, salt and pepper then start browning the meat in a large pot.  When meat is slightly browned, add garlic powder, A-1, Heinz 57, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and the entire can of tomatoes with juices.  Continue cooking until meat is thoroughly cooked then simmer.  Add can of tomato paste and blend completely into the meat mixture.  Drain shells, do not rinse them, then add them to the meat mixture.  Let simmer about 30 minutes to let the flavors blend.


I really needed some comfort food tonight.  It's currently raining outside and it's about to start snowing....yep-almost halfway through May.  I'm ready for summertime!  But until mother nature is too, I will use this rainy day to make some amazing food that warms my heart....and my belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment