Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Caramel Apple Pecan Pie

I made this for our Thanksgiving dessert solely because caramel apples remind me of fall.  But this would be good any time of the year.  It's such a fun twist on your average apple pie and was really easy to make.  Plus, it looks fancy!


I found this recipe here at Good Morning America.  I didn't even know they had recipes at good ol' GMA, but I will make sure to check there more often because this pie was mouth-watering delicious! 

Caramel Apple Pecan Pie
Serves 6-8

Ingredients:



  • 7 cups tart apples, sliced and peeled





  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice





  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract





  • 3/4 cup pecans, chopped





  • 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed





  • 3 tablespoons sugar




  • 4-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground





  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch





  • 1/4 cup caramel ice-cream topping, room temperature





  •  2 pastry shells, unbaked (9 inches) 





  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted







  • For Streusel Topping:





  • 3/4 cup flour, all-purpose





  • 2/3 cup pecans, chopped




  • 1/4 cup sugar





  • 6 tablespoons butter, cold





  • 1/4 cup caramel ice-cream topping, room temperature






  •  
    In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and vanilla.

    Combine the pecans, sugars, cinnamon and cornstarch; add to apple mixture and toss to coat.

    Pour caramel topping over bottom of pastry shell; top with apple mixture (shell will be full). Drizzle with butter.

    In a small bowl, combine the flour, pecans and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over filling.

    Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is browned.  Immediately drizzle with caramel topping. Cool on a wire rack.



    This recipe says it makes one pie......but when I made it-I had enough of everything for 2!  BONUS!  :)  So I made 2 pies, and was really glad I did because I've never seen so many people eat that much pie in my life.  This recipe is definitely a winner.

    See?  Here is my brother resource guarding to prove it......

    3 comments:

    1. Oh my goodness does that look incredible! That's for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
    2. This looks so tasty. You're a renegade posting a caramel apple pecan recipe when other bloggers are posting recipes for berry crisps and other spring related things! You're so right, this would be delicious any time of the year, I love the caramel apple combo.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Ha! That's too funny, Jessi! I like to rebel against the masses sometimes, I guess. Apple pie also reminds me of the 4th of July too, so that makes it ok, right? ;)

      ReplyDelete