Welcome to my kitchen! This is a blog that is evolving as my life does. I like food, but I don't have all the time in the world to cook. So lately, I'm going with simple, easy recipes. I may switch that up occassionally and post something time-intensive, but that isn't what I'm about these days. If that sounds like you - I hope you enjoy some of these recipes.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sausage, Egg and Hash Brown Bake

I find something comforting about a hot breakfast casserole in the morning.  And nothing fits that bill like a good, classic sausage bake on my breakfast table (or better yet-breakfast in bed) and a hot cup of coffee to go along with it!  The only problem with them is that most recipes I've come across use sour cream.  An ingredient the husband does not like.  I needed to use up the fresh hash browns that I had bought-so I was off to the great wide internet to find a recipe that he would enjoy too.  I came across this recipe at Allrecipes.com and it is fantastic.  Classic, flavorful and feeds plenty.  Perfect.


Sausage, Egg and Hash Brown Bake
Original recipe from Allrecipes.com, slightly adapted by Amy's New Kitchen
Serves 8

Ingredients:
1 package (2lbs) frozen hash browns, thawed (or 1 pkg fresh hash browns)
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 lb breakfast sausage
1 shallot, finely diced
9 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
12 oz cheddar cheese, shredded



Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp oil.  When hot add 1/2 the hash browns and cook until slightly crisp.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Place the crisp hash browns in the bottom of the baking dish, then add the rest on top. 


In that same skillet over medium heat cook the sausage and shallot until the sausage is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink; drain. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and pour over the potatoes. Layer with 1/4 of the cheddar cheese, the sausage mixture, and then top with remaining Cheddar cheese. Cover with aluminum foil. 


Bake for 1 hour. Remove cover; return casserole to the oven and bake until cheese turns slightly crisp, about 5-10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. 


The cheese comes out crunchy and delicious, while the layers underneath hold such a nice flavor that you can't even wait to take your next bite.  This was chowed down by my 8 year old nephew-so it has to be good!  ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment